Friday, September 21, 2007

Visit from the Folks


So last week my folks flew out here to visit us. It was my dad's first airplane ride in 35 years (other than space flight, of course). We went to King Estate winery to taste their fine vintages. King Estate is the largest winery in Oregon and well worth checking out if you are in the area (see amazing view above). It was pretty quiet there, but in a few weeks, they will be harvesting and crushing the grapes. Here's me among the tanks they use to ferment the wine, holding the bottle of wine my mom bought me for my birthday.



We also went to the Coast. My mom had read about a great seafood place in Winchester Bay so we headed there. We've been to the coast several times and each time we select a crappy place to eat at (in Florence: avoid Mo's and the ISC). It especially sucks since we are generally with friends and they have to eat the subfar food with poor service. So based on Coastal Living's recommendation, we headed to Fishpatrick's Crabby Cafe. I can't speak for everyone else's fish 'n' chips, but my clam chowder was excellent, as was the marionberry cobler a la mode that I split with Cory. From there we traveled farther south down the Coast to the Umpqua Lighthouse...



...then on to Horsfall Beach, which is in the Dunes National Recreation area.



My mom even stuck her foot in.









We also took my parents to hike Spencer's Butte. Pretty much everyone who visits us will have to hike it, but it is a nice walk through the woods...



...with big, big trees...





...and a great view at the top.