Sunday, July 15, 2007

Boo-Berries

Its our first summer in Oregon, and you know what that means...underpaid migrant farm labor! Ha ha, just kidding America, we didn't get paid anything.
For fruits to be certified Organic in the state of Oregon, they evidentially have to be weighed on some super-expensive scale at an official state factory or something, and then the fruit is taxed by weight and all the earth hippees get overcharged for their fruit addiction. I don't really know what I'm talking about here, the only thing I know is that in order to get some goddamn bluberries we gotta go out and pick them ourselves from the local fields.

Normally I'm a big fan of eating various plants I come across, but this was in no way a challenge. Every plant was filled with obvious blueberries and even a 4-year-old kid could find without resorting to a field guide. Without the chance for accidental poisoning, my enjoyment of wildlife flora eating is limited. It's my danger-seeking extreme personality.

That said, the blueberries are flippin' good and honestly it was pretty fun. Also, Mary developed a highly efficient picking method that kicked all the other picker's asses (heh). The other folk like to saunter up and down the bushes picking the obvious top berries like grazing cows, probably because of the "grass is always greener" mentality of today's consumer. We quickly noticed that the best and largest berries were hidden under the leaves, and sat down at each bush and pulled off boatloads of huge blueberries. I think we came home with 5 gallons of blueberries in all, and paid just a lousy $15 for the privilege of getting some spider bites and a nasty back-o'-the-neck sunburn. The largest blueberry was approximately about two centimeters in diameter, which I promptly ate.

They make a great blueberry protein shake when mixed with vanilla protein powder, and will soon make some excellent scones and muffins (I'll have to see if Mary will let me try putting protein powder in the muffins). Our freezer is now filled with frozen blueberries.